AT A GLANCE
|01||Place shallots, mushrooms, bacon, garlic, thyme, bay leaves, wine, stock, paste and beef in a 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow-cooker. Cook, covered, over low heat for 8 hours. Season to taste.|
|02||Discard thyme and bay leaves. Add half the parsley, then stir and season to taste. Serve topped with the remaining parsley scattered over.|
Note Recipes taken from The Australian
Women's Weekly Slow Cooker 4 ($12.95) published by Bauer Media
Group, available at selected newsagents and supermarkets. These
recipes have been reproduced with minor GT style
Prep + cook time 2½ hours
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large flameproof casserole over high heat, add beef and cook until browned. Remove beef from dish.
2. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in dish, add shallots, bacon and mushrooms, and cook, stirring, until browned lightly. Add garlic, thyme and bay leaves to dish and cook, stirring, for 1 minute until fragrant.
3. Add wine to dish and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes or until wine is reduced by half. Return beef to dish with stock and paste, and bring to the boil.
4. Cover dish, transfer to oven and cook for 1½ hours. Uncover, return to oven and cook a further 30 minutes until beef is tender and sauce has thickened.
5. Discard thyme and bay leaves. Stir in half the parsley and season to taste. Serve beef sprinkled with remaining parsley.