GT reader dinner: Billy Kwong, Sydney
Author: Maya Kerthyasa
Photography: Penny Lane
12:00AM, Jan 23, 2015
Billy Kwong has reopened in new Potts Point digs and you can
join us to celebrate Chinese New Year.
Billy Kwong has landed in Potts Point. Kylie Kwong spent two months moving from its Surry Hills birthplace to the new Macleay Street digs, and it's been time well spent. Billy Kwong 2.0 is bigger and better than ever, which is why we're thrilled to be collaborating with Kwong for a Chinese-Australian feast in celebration of the Lunar New Year.
"What you can expect from the new Billy Kwong is basically everything I've always wanted to offer but I never had the space or the wherewithal," says Kwong. "We have a huge restaurant with a 140-seat capacity, we have 24/7 online booking, we have an amazingly beautiful bar... but I think it's important to note, too, that we're trying to maintain that same cosy, intimate, mad, magical feel of Crown Street, Surry Hills, but in a much bigger and more comfortable space."
The spirit of Crown Street lives on through the menu, too, which offers all the Billy Kwong classics along with some new thrills. Mark Eather's ocean trout, for example, which at Surry Hills was served as siu mai dumplings, makes a comeback as tartare. Steamed mini pork buns, meanwhile, are jazzed-up with honey from hives on the rooftop of nearby Wayside Chapel.
So join us on 23 February as we ring in the year of the sheep (ram or goat, if you prefer). Gong xi fa cai.
Join us at 6.30pm on Monday, 23 February at Billy Kwong, shop 1, 28 Macleay St, Potts Point. Bookings (02) 9332 3300. The cost of $120 per person includes natural beer, wine by the glass, Sanpellegrino waters and $10 donation to the Ovarian Cancer Research Foundation. For more on the OCRF, call 1300 OVARIAN or visit ocrf.com.au
* House olives
* Goong Goong's pickles
BK-Nomad Bespoke Beer
* Tartare of Mark Eather's ocean trout
* Steamed vegetable and St Canice Parish warrigal greens dumplings
* Steamed mini pork buns with Wayside Chapel honey
2014 Shobbrook Bianco, Adelaide Hills
* Bruce Collis snapper fillet steamed with ginger, spring onion and shiro shoyu
* Red-braised, caramelised Flinders Island wallaby tail with black bean and chilli
* Steamed Kurrawong organic choy sum with tamari
2012 Panevino Peggio 1, Sardinia
* Stir-fried native crustaceans with house XO, sticky pork, sea parsley, sea blite and samphire
* Stir-fried Australian native greens with ginger
2013 Mosse Moussamoussettes, Loire
* Merna Taouk and KK's Davidson's plum and buttermilk ice-cream
* Merna Taouk and KK's fair trade chocolate mousse
Sponsored by S.Pellegrino / Acqua Panna